Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I'm brca2 positive. What now?



I LIKE TO KICK!  I always figured I'd be at least 50 like Sally O'Malley (Molly Shannon from SNL) not 42 when I went through menopause.
 
I'm brca2 positive. What now?
 
The first recommendation for brca2 is a prophylactic oophorectomy to reduce the risk of breast and ovarian cancer.This will take away the body's main source of estrogen. Ovarian cancer is hard to detect and is often too advanced by the time it is found. The doctor explained that she will remove the ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, and anything else hiding out. She will then do a pelvic wash.  Everything will be sent to the lab for testing. M and I both have cysts which didn't seem worrisome until now.  M has surgery scheduled for April 2 and I will have mine April 23.  The surgery will put us into menopause immediately.  However, we will not be able to take any hormone replacements because estrogen is our enemy. I am trying to be positive but the thought of hot flashes, irritability, depression, vaginal dryness, and other side effects freaks me out. I know it's better than getting ovarian cancer but it's still scary. 

There are a few recommendations to reduce the risk of breast cancer. The first is monitoring- frequent MRI's, mammograms, ultrasounds, and clinical exams. The second is a prophylactic double mastectomy. This is a very personal decision. My husband and I feel I should have the prophylactic mastectomy. After the mastectomy, my chance of developing breast cancer drops by 90%. Those statistics are amazing but there are sacrifices. I will lose both breasts as well as my nipples and I won't have any sensation even after reconstruction. I will be seeing the breast surgeon and plastic surgeon after I recover from the oophorectomy.

I'm tired today.  I told one friend "sharing the news is a bit scary because...it just got real." I'm feeling weepy (maybe it's hormones since I'm due to get the last period of my entire life!) or maybe I'm mourning the loss of my "body parts" already.  

Next step for me- MRI scheduled April 5th.


13 comments:

  1. Just a friend of Jim's but praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any friend of Jim's is a friend of mine! Thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete
    2. Jody
      You are the most positive, energetic person I know:) I know you will inspire others to get tested and come to terms with whatever news they get. I love this blog, like I told you on the phone, this will help those close to you, be less worried by knowing updates and getting information from you. You are loved...and cared about. Talk to you soon :)

      Delete
  2. Praying! Peace and cimplete healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm weeping just thinking about what you guys are going to go through in the coming months. Life is hard enough without putting it into over-drive, when it comes to menopause and female hormones. Grateful you have so many lifting you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Ain't it great being a woman!

      Delete
  4. it's gonna help all kinds of people reading these words which are written with such frank honesty and rawness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just learning as I go. I'm not a writer! I'm glad we have each other and such an amazing support system. Still praying L will get negative results. Love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody, I am amazed by your honesty and courage. Nothing can beat you with a great family supporting you through this difficult time. Your doctor sounds pretty extraordinary! I am praying for you and Michelle. I just know everything will be fine. Keep your chin up because we're all behind you! I've got your back!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We just found out our younger sis is negative for the gene! We are taking it a day at a time.

      Delete
  7. I just found out this morning that I am BRCA2 positive. I'm not sure I even know what this means...or what lies ahead. I'm numb, scared and feeling very overwhelmed. Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is life after brca Tracy! If you have questions please feel free to email me directly at jstella6635@charter.net.

      Delete

August 24th, 2013

I can't believe I haven't blogged since June 19th. The last few months have been absolutely crazy. I'll give an update on my ...