Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 27, 2013

I woke up Tuesday morning with a sense of peace.  I felt the prayers. 
Shel and Jim stayed with me til the very last moment.
 
 
I will not get ovarian cancer! 
 Hysterectomy and oophorectomy done. I had a rough day Monday before surgery. I was very anxious and ended up taking Xanax. What a life saver.  Tuesday morning was completely different. I felt calm and peaceful. I have to admit it didn't seem real until the gown went on and the iv went in.  Next, the anesthesiologist went over the game plan- I'm a difficult patient because I'm drug naive, tiny, suffer from vertigo, and have problems with nausea. He did a great job- maybe too good since I couldn't open my eyes until the next day! My surgery went well. I haven't gotten the pathology report back but my doctor said there were no surprises. 
My sister woke up feeling great after her surgery three weeks before- I couldn't open my eyes and was dizzy for days due to the patch I had behind my ear for nausea. I will not talk about the packing that was placed in my body. If you are going to have this surgery inbox me and I will give you the details. I'm not in pain. It feels very tender and my stomach is swollen.  I'm tired all the time. My husband has been amazing. He has taken over and encouraged me to just rest and recover. 
 
The kids had prom on Friday and that was difficult. Thankfully my sis and friend Missy took all the pictures. I was able to sit and watch. Sis and I were both exhausted after. Little things wear you out quickly.
 
Next topic, menopause.
I'm less than a week in and it sucks. The hot flashes set in almost immediately.  It's not like anything I can explain. It's horrible. The heat moves up my body and is unbearable. I'm sweating in places I never knew could sweat!  
I'm trying to be positive but,
don't hold it against me if I start swearing like a trucker.
 
Next surgery, June 3, 2013.

5 comments:

  1. I am prescribed Niacin and although I am not in menopause and would not claim to have a total understanding, I can at least empathize with you. Mine starts in my finger tips and calf area...almost like an indicator for me. I immediately get as much air to my body as possible. I have woken in the middle of the night, can't stand being touched cuz it is like the spot that is touched is on fire. They in short.....SUCK! And they have not got better since starting the Niacin like they are suppose to.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I will run it by my doc. I'm looking for any relief!

      Delete
  2. try clary sage essential oils. I use doterra, check with your doctor first

    ReplyDelete
  3. from my discussions with other women, i think there is a wide spectrum in terms of hot flushes. they may be only slightly annoying to unbearable, the kind we have been experiencing. i am someone who loves a good sauna! but this is no sauna. this fluctuation from hot to cold is disorienting and gripping. one thing i want to find out is how many years of this can be expected post-menopausally. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear you are doing well in spite of what you have been through mentally and physically. You are an amazing role model for all those who face what you and your sister did. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

August 24th, 2013

I can't believe I haven't blogged since June 19th. The last few months have been absolutely crazy. I'll give an update on my ...