Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 19, 2013





Not sure why I found this shirt funny a few weeks ago?
 
It's been 16 very emotional days since my mastectomy.  The surgery went well and all my pathology is clear.  My chances of developing breast cancer is less than 5%.  That is the awesome news.
 So many people have asked about the actual surgery so I thought I'd walk you through it. 
The pre-op team couldn't get an IV in because I was dehydrated so after 5 shots of numbing agent and 5 sticks with a very large needle the head dude had to come and place the IV.  My breast surgeon and plastic surgeon armed with sharpies marked up my chest.  I was only in surgery for about two and a half hours. The breast surgeon took samples from both nipples and they were tested on site.  The pathology was clear so she was able to leave them.  She then removed the breast tissue from high near the collarbone and wide to the armpit. The plastic surgeon then began his surgery. His job was to create a mound so I can eventually have breasts.  The skin is very thin from removing tissue so he used alloderm, which is donor tissue.  He placed expanders behind the pectoral muscle and against the chest wall. These will be filled with liquid over time and stretch the skin so it can handle an implant. They are very uncomfortable. They are plastic and have a metallic port so I will set off security alarms!  He was able to fill them with some saline at the time of surgery. I expected to wake up flat so I was happy to look down and see a small mound.  My chest was extremely bruised but I thought it looked beautiful. I had 4 drains sewn in that came out of my sides.  They collected blood and fluid from the spaces where breast tissue used to be. I was not able to shower while these were in. They made it difficult to sleep. My wonderful husband kept track of my medications. I was given a pain med, a muscle spasm med, a stool softener, a med for nausea, and an antibiotic. I was off all medications except for Motrin and Tylenol by day 5.  My husband had to empty the drains and keep track of the fluid count. We needed each drain to measure less than 30 cc in a 24 hour period. I was lucky and only had them in for 5 days. The plastic surgeon removed them and it hurt.  Lets leave it at that. I will be seeing the plastic surgeon to begin "filling" the expanders. I'm small so it shouldn't take too long.  He was concerned that my left nipple had been compromised but is hopeful it will make it. (doesn't that sound ridiculous?) Everything seems to be going smoothly.  I will have an exchange surgery in the next few months and the expanders will be removed and I'll have implants put in. Let me set the record straight--- no I can't get any size I want.  This is not like an augmentation. The plastic surgeon takes measurements and that determines my size. A reconstruction is different because there is no breast tissue. I'm just happy that I can have breasts and no cancer!
 
2 of my drains
 
They look like grenades. (Jackson Pratt drains)
 

 
 
 
Jim in the recovery room. I made him take this pic.
 
Just home from the hospital. The recliner was a lifesaver.
My mother in law washing my hair in the sink.
 She took great care of me too.
 
 
I wanted to write about the emotional roller coaster during this experience.
I've had two major surgeries in less than 2 months. The first put me in menopause.  Hot flashes, sleepless nights, memory fogs, and messed up emotions. The second removed my breasts and placed foreign objects in their place. I knew what to expect from both surgeries. I knew they wouldn't be easy.  I did my research.
But, This is hard. 
I want to feel like myself again. I know I will, but I'm not a patient person.
I'm tired all the time, I can't even freakin vacuum. 
I know I'll make it and someday this will be a distant memory but right now it sucks.
Don't get me wrong---
I am so thankful- no regrets!
 
I need a vacation. Hawaii anyone??

 


7 comments:

  1. it's a road with a million little decisions to make and a trillion hoops to jump through before you can take the next step, but you are getting there. you ARE. not many folks can understand going through all of this stuff willingly when you were in top notch health! that's the rub. we're strong healthy women who look like vampires and can hardly do laundry. it's an investment that takes guts. and you got em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, Dad and I are so proud of you and Michele...you have handled all this with grace and strength. Not only did you help me through my mastectomies and chemo and now radiation....but you had to deal with the shock of BRCA2,,,which we had not heard of. We are thankful for you girls and we know God is with you. I am going for my 6th radiation now...28 to go! Love you! Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your blog. It sounds like we have had the same surgeries. I had a total hysterectomy in Novemeber as I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. After finding out I was BRCA2 positive, I knew the total mastectomy was the way to go. I had my PBM last Tuesday and my emotions are all over the place. I just want my old body back :( Thanks for sharing your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate that you're feeling that way but glad I'm not alone.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to be on the other side with you! Stay strong!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete

August 24th, 2013

I can't believe I haven't blogged since June 19th. The last few months have been absolutely crazy. I'll give an update on my ...